Pros and cons of a micro-atx board.

Well the size itself of a micro atx board can be a pro and a con at the same time. It allows you to build in a smaller case can save you some money if you choose to go with micro atx board, they are cheaper than their full atx counterpart. Cooling and dissipating hot air on a micro atx system is much harder because all of the components are crammed together in one tight space, so the components will run hotter than full atx tower builds. Most don't support SLI/Crossfire because of the number of PCI-E lanes the board has (depends on the model of the board really). Micro atx usually comes with only 2 RAM slots and can't support higher speed memory or run it in let's say quad channel configuration. Some features are also removed from it like the number of USB, SATA connectors, storage expandability and so on. Also a bunch of them don't support overclocking (depends on the model of the board again). Still does what it was supposed to.

stelthii likes this

All boards are different

Some mobos will make your cpu throttle and not get the full speed out of cpu you will experience bad gaming lag

Some wont let you use full ram speed for e.g say you have 2400mhz you will only be able to use 1866mhz or 1600mhz

So really if you looking in to buy a new mobo do some research about the board

4Os2zcH.png

I will be buying a Gigabyte GA-AB350M-DS3H motherboard for my Ryzen build. It has 4 DDR4 DIMMs slots running at dual channel and supports memory up to 3200MHz, X370 chipset, support up to 7th Gen A-Series cpus and of course Zen Architecture (Ryzen). It also has M.2 Port for a NVMe Drive, 2 PCI Express slots, one of them PCIX16 and the other one PCIX4, and a PCIX1 slots.

You can check it out here: https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-AB350M-DS3H-rev-1x#sp

What I mean is that you dont need a full atx motherboard to get all the features, you just have to know where to look. Of course you have more potential with full atx boards, but there are atx boards out there which dont have all the features this micro atx has. Oh, and its only 70 USD

Puddingsbane likes this

No fancy image here. Don't ask why!

For comparison, check mine. It should give you a rough idea of the things the board offers considering her form factor

https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/Fatal1ty%20X370%20Professional%20Gaming/index.asp#Specification

Higher end board have better and more durable components on them, better power delivery and overall more stable power throughput of the entire system. That's why they are considered as an enthusiast boards. I only payed for mine some 30$ more than @MasterYI for his, what i'm trying to say is you can get this kind of hardware for little to none money (considering their original cost, this one in particular is around 360$ in Croatia) if you know where to look.