How to keep your food fresh on long road trips

There's nothing like a road trip to clear your mind and celebrate the end of summer. Here's low-tech tips on how to keep food fresh on long excursions.

http://cnet1.cbsistatic.com/hub/i/r/2014/08/17/90c7cb0d-e3b9-4944-908f-5a7f0d0fddbd/resize/770x578/cf27fafa928db8f96e43480ed0223ec1/foodfortrip.jpg

As summer starts to wind down, many people plan for one last road trip with friends and family. Keeping your food fresh on long trips can be tough and messy. Here's how you can prevent food from going bad while you're on the road.

Now the solutions offered here are certainly not as high-tech as others in our travel series -- shout-out to Lexy Savvides for her in-depth articles on interactive mapsgetting deals, and public Wi-Fi best practices-- but everything below is useful and can be easily implemented.

Pick the right cooler

Coolers come in many shapes, sizes, and price points, and while we don't yet have access to the coolestcooler, the ones available to us now can still get the job done. At the very least, your cooler should have a bottom drain to release water from the melted ice. Any midsize cooler with hinges on the top needs a strong latch to keep the lid sealed tightly to the body. The best coolers also have a lid gasket to create an airtight seal that traps cold air inside.

If possible use two coolers on long road trips. One for cold drinks and beverages that will be open more often and another for foods used less frequently. Open the food cooler as little as needed and keep it in a dark area like a trunk when not in use. Covering coolers with an old sleeping bag is another way to insulate it inside a trunk while you're on the road or at a campsite.

Make you own ice packs

Crushed ice cools food and drinks faster but ice blocks last longer and are better suited to keeping coolers cold. Making your own ice containers for the cooler is a great way to keep food cold without spending too much on crushed ice.

One solution: Pre-freeze drinking water in clean milk jugs or two-liter pop bottles. Those should produce large enough pieces of ice more appropriate for food. An added bonus: once the frozen containers melt, you'll have clean drinking water available for the ride back home.

Buy fresh food

To get the most out of your fruit and vegetables, ensure they are as fresh as possible. I recommend -- if you can time it this way -- buying fresh fruit and vegetables from your local farmers' market on the day you leave town. Fresh food from a farmers' market can last up to twice as long as food purchased from a supermarket.

Avoid washing produce if you plan to store them in vegetable storage bags. These bags won't extend the life of produce outside a refrigerator unless it's dry when packed. Dampness, humidity, or condensation inside the bag will lead to rot.

Pack logically

Full coolers stay colder longer, and food should be properly packed to ensure the lid does not stay open for extended periods of time. Store foods that will be consumed last on the bottom and often-used food on top of the cooler. Cold air travels down so ice should always be on top with pre-chilled cans and bottles on the bottom.

Perishable foods like meat and dairy should be stored on top of ice. To keep food dry, separate it into sealed plastic containers or zip-lock bags. If there is room left, use small, frozen water bottles to fill in open spaces and keep food cold.

Keep it cool

These tips should help you get more out of your next weekend getaway. Come back tomorrow for a few tips that'll keep your car cool on hot days

Source

Gm3eMuy.pngsub-darkmessiah.GIF

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Substanz
      Here you will learn how to become a game-streaming master.

http://cnet3.cbsistatic.com/hub/i/r/2014/06/12/07c6df8b-c10a-4ca1-a6e8-84a1558e7f49/resize/770x578/65e3274dfd2d8e73be4b8f79671eb194/ps4vsxboxone06.jpg 

Interested in broadcasting your gameplay to the world? This guide will tell you everything you need to know about setting up a Twitch game stream.

Creating an account

The first thing you will want to do is sign up for a free account over at Twitch.tv. You aren't required to have an account to watch or comment on streams, although you do get more features by signing up for one. In addition to creating your own videos, signing up for an account will allow you to message and interact with other users, follow streams, and more.

http://cnet1.cbsistatic.com/hub/i/r/2014/09/04/8c04e86d-85a7-476a-b2a9-2201f6664690/resize/770x578/64ab2cd0f8c90d215946c998833c22a3/twitch-settings.png

Once you have created your account, I recommend going to the Twitch settings, clicking on the Channel and Videos tab, and checking the "Automatically archive my broadcasts" box. This won't save old streams forever, however they will be stored on your channel for the next 14 days. You will also have the ability to export older broadcasts to YouTube and create video highlights that will be saved on your Twitch channel forever.

Now the fun begins. It's time to start choose your streaming platform.

Choosing your platform

You can stream games directly from your PlayStation 4 or Xbox One game consoles, or on your PC using additional software.
      Streaming on a PlayStation 4

It's relatively easy to stream on the PlayStation 4. All you need is the console, a DualShock 4 controller, a game to play, a stable Internet connection, and a PlayStation 4 camera, which will allow others to see and hear you.

You first need to login to your account. To start, press the Share button on the controller while playing a game. Select Broadcast Gameplay, followed by Twitch, click on "Go to the Twitch website," and login to your account. To actually begin broadcasting, once again press the Share button, select Broadcast Gameplay, followed by Twitch, and click Start Broadcast.

http://cnet4.cbsistatic.com/hub/i/r/2014/09/04/230018ee-5cbb-4925-993c-3759c8dec115/resize/770x578/7a8c1a6418a0d424ae76ddce790ca1a5/ps4-share.png

It's as easy as that. You can view Twitch comments and tweak your steaming settings by pressing the Share button while streaming and selecting Broadcast Settings.

Streaming on an Xbox One

It's a little more complicated to start streaming on the Xbox One. You will need a console, an Xbox One controller, an Xbox One Kinect camera, a stable Internet connection, and a game to play.

http://cnet2.cbsistatic.com/hub/i/r/2014/09/04/d053d938-cf80-432b-91e6-e8a395ee92ed/resize/770x578/8364629e1519873be1a6057105b107a5/twitch-xbone.png

Sign in to your Microsoft account and download the free Twitch app from the Xbox Live store. Once it has been installed, open the app and click on Broadcast. A 6-digit code will appear on the screen which you will have to enter at the Twitch website to activate the device.

http://cnet3.cbsistatic.com/hub/i/r/2014/09/03/51a7acef-3b5d-477d-8879-3b2539982f80/resize/770x578/3c0b673496807047a3955fbdf1d2f60a/xbox-one-twitch-2.png

The Xbox privacy settings must be set to Adult before you can begin broadcasting your own gameplay. This can be done by going to the Xbox settings, clicking on the "Privacy & online safety" option, and selecting "Adult default." In the Preferences section of the settings menu, make sure the "Allow broadcasts and Game DVR uploads" option is enabled.

To broadcast, open the game you would like to play and say "Xbox Broadcast." You can also start the broadcast inside of the Twitch app. To stop your broadcast, use the voice command "Xbox Stop Broadcast."

Streaming from your PC

Streaming from a PC isn't nearly as easy as it is on the PS4 or Xbox One, but it's nothing you can't handle. You should know, however, that not every computer is capable of streaming, While the requirements change depending on the games you plan to stream, I recommend having at least 4GB of RAM, a high-end graphics card (GeForce or Radeon with support for DirectX 10.1) , and a powerful processor, such as a second generation Intel Core i5 or Core i7.

These specs will make it easy to stream popular games like Dota 2, League of Legends, World of Warcraft, Titanfall, or Counter-Strike: Global Offensive. As is the case with streaming on the PS4 and Xbox One, you will also want a camera and a stable Internet connection, in addition to a headset with a microphone.

http://cnet3.cbsistatic.com/hub/i/r/2014/09/04/e51ded05-fdb7-4547-8751-6544984049f1/resize/770x578/c57e9b72d7af7a77d581faff6afb6710/xsplit.jpg

There are a variety of programs available for broadcasting your gameplay, but I found the easiest way to stream is using a software called XSplit Gamecaster. Create an account on the XSplit website and download the Gamecaster software.

Once it has been installed, launch the program, login into your XSplit account, and grant Gamecaster access to live stream to Twitch. This can be done by clicking on the "Open Authentication Window" box and signing into your Twitch account.

Then just simply launch a game you want to broadcast, click the CTRL and Tab key after it has launched, and select the "Stream" option. From this menu you can also enable your webcam, change video and audio settings, and more.

While the Gamecaster software is free and easy to use, it does have its flaws. The company charges a monthly fee for a premium license, which opens the door to more features. Without the license, your HD streams will include a watermark of the company's logo and your frame-per-second will be limited.

http://cnet4.cbsistatic.com/hub/i/r/2014/09/04/64caa745-1206-4e69-99f7-5f5c251d2fd8/resize/770x578/1339a77f348870ebfa6dd67e2e32036d/xsplit.png

If this is a problem for you, I recommend checking out Open Broadcast Software. The program, which is also known as OBS, is open source and available for free. It can be a bit more complicated to use, butthis guide from Twitch will help you get started.

Finding a game and building an audience

The hardest part about streaming isn't setting up the software, it's building an audience. No one wants to have a stream with no viewers. That's why I spoke to current game streamers about what new users could do to build an audience.

Choose a popular game

Most people aren't going to watch a streamer who plays an unpopular game. The people I spoke to recommended choosing new games or older ones with large followings. Dota 2 and League of Legends are both incredibly popular, as are first person shooters like Counter Strike: Global Offensive, Titanfall, and Call of Duty. Other games to check out include Diablo 3, World of Warcraft, Minecraft, Starcraft II, Day Z, FIFA, and Madden.

Be a good at the game you choose

No one wants to watch someone die over and over again. You should be relatively good at the game you plan to stream.

Keep to a schedule

Try to be consistent and keep to a schedule to make it easier for viewers to follow you.

Be entertaining

You have to do more than just play the game. You have to entertain your audience. Make jokes, comment on pop culture, talk about current events, do something to keep them coming back for more.
      Promote yourself on social media

Use platform like Facebook, Twitter, and Google+ to inform your audience about new streams, gaming new, and upcoming promotions.

Keep them coming back for more

Whether it's skins for CS:GO, Riot Points on League of Legends, or an in-game item on World of Warcraft, people love free stuff. Giveaways are a great way to build an audience, but be sure to make it a requirement that those entering into your giveaway are also following your stream.

SOURCE
    • By Substanz
      Changing Skype accounts soon? Grab a copy of your contact list information from your current account before you switch.

http://cnet2.cbsistatic.com/hub/i/2014/08/29/74a51220-b803-4c3a-8d19-6b1b9c380e5b/cdc671992ec978b7e687e770bf5e69ae/skype-main.jpg

Whether a swarm of spammers is attacking your Skype, or you just decide that you're tired of your current username, you may want to export your contact list and move it to another account. Ghacks.net recently shared a post about an application that can show you all contact information in an organized window, but this example will use Skype's default tools. Skipping on the third-party application means the data will be a bit messier to look at, but you can still get the job done with relatively little effort.

Here's how to export your Skype contact list:

http://cnet4.cbsistatic.com/hub/i/2014/08/29/b87d03cb-9951-42df-b419-b0120e0a034f/b9ae8bd5e0e345d91f09f36f367a4987/skype1.jpg 

Step 1: Click the Contact menu in your Skype window and select Advanced > Back up Contacts to file.

Step 2: When the window appears for saving the file, you can either keep the *.vcf file extension if you're going to import to another Skype account, or you can change the extension to *.txt.

Note: You can also assign *.vcfs to open with Notepad, too.

You should see all of your contacts, their usernames, and any other information they have made available on their Skype profile.

Additionally, all accounts you've blocked in the past will also be included in the file.

Step 3 (Optional) : Delete any entries in the file you do not want to import to your new account. Then head to the Contacts menu > Advanced > Restore contacts from file.

Contacts will be sent a request for you to add them to your new list. If you don't hear back from them, you can right-click their username in the list and resend the invitation, along with a personalized message.

Source
    • By Substanz
      Eight tips for improving battery life on your MacBook

These tips will help you get the best possible battery life on a MacBook Air or MacBook Pro.

http://cnet4.cbsistatic.com/hub/i/r/2014/08/28/0d55d23b-e802-476f-b369-5ac94846e987/thumbnail/770x433/57ebd8030a7a742eb86ee9ce85ae0142/htsavebatterymacbook.jpg
        Thanks to more efficient chips and improvements to software, the battery life on Apple's computers continue to improve with each new model year. The company also includes various energy saving settings in its OS X operating system. These can be tweaked by going to the System Preferences and clicking on Energy Saver, but there is also more that you can do. These tips will help you squeeze the most juice out of the battery on your MacBook Pro or MacBook Air.

Show battery percentage

A feature that you should enable (if it isn't already) is the battery percentage indicator. While this won't actually increase your battery life, it will make it easier to monitor it.
      To enable the percentage indicator, click on the battery icon at the top right-hand corner of the menu bar and select the "Show percentage" option.

http://cnet3.cbsistatic.com/hub/i/r/2014/08/25/a7eea5e1-339c-40fe-8727-e518910a551f/resize/770x578/6c55b48ee504d04efe25381a5bf906cc/macbook-battery.png 

Check battery condition

The next thing you will want to do is check the condition of your battery. To do this, hold the option key on the keyboard and click on the battery icon at the top of the menu bar. A "Normal" battery rating is what you will hopefully see and not a "Replace soon" warning. You have three options to fix the latter: buying a new computer, contacting Apple about fixing your existing one, or replacing the battery at your own risk.

It should be noted that older MacBook models included a removable battery, which made it simple to replace. This is no longer the case, however, for newer models. While it still possible to replace the battery, the process requires opening the MacBook.
      Install software updates

As I mentioned, having the latest software installed on your computer will help you get the best possible battery life. To check to see if an update is available for your computer, click on the Apple logo in the menu bar and select the "Software Update" option, or open the App Store and click on the "Updates" tab.

Dim the display

Just like on a mobile device, the display on your computer uses a ton of energy. When you disconnect the power cord, it's best to dim the brightness down below half or to a suitable level for your eyes. To do this, press the F1 button on the keyboard, or use the F1 and FN button if that doesn't work. It's also best to disable the MacBook's auto brightness feature. To do this, go to the System Preferences, select display, and uncheck the "Automatically adjust brightness" box.
      http://cnet2.cbsistatic.com/hub/i/r/2014/05/16/13d59b40-91ae-4bb6-b015-e662f6bcefcf/resize/770x578/ee1996c964bf9e0e6e5ef13461374b8b/large-hero-macbookair13-inch.jpg 

Disable the backlit keyboard

All of Apple's aluminum MacBooks include a backlit keyboard. This is great for when you are typing in the dark, although it can also drain your battery. The backlight can be disabled by pressing and holding the F5 key, or the FN key and F5 key if it doesn't work. You can use the F6 (or FN+F6) key to turn the keyboard backlight back on.

Turn off Bluetooth

There is a good chance you won't be carrying around a Bluetooth mouse or speaker when you leave your desk. With nothing to connect to, there is no point to have Bluetooth enabled. I recommend disabling the radio to conserve battery.

To turn off Bluetooth, enter the System Preferences, select Bluetooth, and click the off button. Alternatively, you can turn it off by clicking on the Bluetooth icon in the top menu bar.

http://cnet1.cbsistatic.com/hub/i/r/2014/08/04/48c872da-67ef-40c7-8dd3-77f09b9c9fe4/resize/770x578/399f6efaa0a350230b96fa10b599c897/apple-macbook-pro-with-retina-display-15-inch-july-2014-product-photos02.jpg 

Disconnect unused dongles

As is the case with Bluetooth, if you aren't actively using a USB-connected device (such as a flash drive), you should unplug it to prevent battery drain. If the power cord isn't connected, charging your smartphone or tablet via the MacBook's USB port will also drain your battery.

Quit applications you are no longer using

It's best to close programs out completely when you are done using them. This can be done by clicking the Command key and Q key at the same time, or clicking on the program in the top menu bar and selecting the "Quit" option.

If a program is frozen, click on the Apple icon in the top menu bar, select Force Quit, and click on the program that won't close.
      Last updated Wednesday, August 27, at 8:15 p.m. PT: Added additional information to clear up some confusion with battery condition.

Source
    • By Substanz
      Apple is set to release the latest version of its mobile operating system in the coming weeks. Here's how you can ensure that your device will be ready to receive the update.

http://cnet4.cbsistatic.com/hub/i/r/2014/06/02/6092adf1-ad88-4298-81a4-9172f3bab57e/resize/770x578/f648d60c68a498bf68c3573e0938d6be/large-hero-iphone5c.jpg

Apple announced the eighth major release of its iOS mobile operating system at its Worldwide Developers Conference in June.

The latest version of iOS include improvements to the Siri voice assistant, a new health and wellness app, and revamped notifications, among other things.

With iOS 8 slated to arrive on devices in the coming weeks, now is the perfect time to ensure that your iPhone or iPad is prepared to receive the update. These tips will help make the transition to iOS 8 fromiOS 7 as smooth as possible.

Check compatibility
       If you've been holding on to the original iPad or iPhone 4, it may be time to update to a newer device. Not every one of Apple's devices is capable of being updated to iOS 8. The company has said the following devices will be receiving the update: iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, iPhone 5S, iPhone 5C, iPad 2, third- and fourth-generation iPad, iPad Air, fifth-generation iPod Touch, iPad Mini, and iPad Mini with Retina display.

http://cnet3.cbsistatic.com/hub/i/r/2014/08/21/a781cf30-6923-49a1-a28e-a86065b8f616/resize/770x578/715171e7c285b39d64b27dccdc6675b9/ios-8-compatible.png 

Free up some space

The over-the-air iOS 7 update package was about 700MB depending on your device, however users were required to have at least 3GB of free space on their devices in order to actually install the update. You can expect iOS 8 to have similar storage requirements, which makes now the perfect time to free up some space on your device.
      I recommend deleting unused apps (which can be done with a long press to the icon, then hitting the X which appears when the apps start shaking), and moving photos to iCloud or another cloud service such as Dropbox or Google Drive. You can also move photos and videos to your computer to free up space rather than having to delete old memories.

http://cnet4.cbsistatic.com/hub/i/r/2014/08/21/56dc42c7-f227-413d-9e00-0ffeb7499dfa/resize/770x578/8d3a761db261cbc4de8f48d377120ebd/apple-iphoto-import.png 
      Connect your iPhone or iPad to your computer using the USB cord, then, on a Mac or MacBook, use iPhoto to import all or select photos to your computer. From a Windows computer, enter My Computer, select your device under the Portable Devices section, click on the DCIM folder, and simply drag and drop which photos or videos you would like to transfer to your computer.

To see how much storage is remaining on your iOS device, enter Settings, click on General, and select Usage.

Check for updates

Now would also be a good time to install any lingering software updates you have been holding off on. You will need to be on the latest version of iOS to update to iOS 8. To check for updates, enter Settings, click on General, and select Software Update.

You should also install any app updates that are available before updating to iOS 8 to ensure that your apps will work properly after the move.

Back up your device

Although you are unlikely to run into any major problems when updating, it's always a good idea to have a backup of your device. You know what they say, it's better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

http://cnet3.cbsistatic.com/hub/i/r/2014/08/21/373aa10e-cfc0-4c90-a91d-89d86c20ff30/resize/770x578/bec5a120cc68e8251dde8ae34a3f2eef/iphone-backup.png 
      There are two methods for backing up your device. The first is with iTunes, which will store a backup file on your computer. For this method, you should have the latest version of iTunes installed. Start by connecting your iPhone or iPad to the computer with the USB cable. Then, select your device and click on the Summary tab in the top menu. Make sure that your computer is selected, and then click on the "Back Up Now" button on the right-hand side. If you rather back up your data to Apple's cloud service, select the iCloud option located above the computer option.

Data can also be backed up directly from your device to iCloud. Make sure Wi-Fi is enabled, then enter Settings, select iCloud, and click on Storage & Backup. From here you can choose which files and settings you would like to store on the cloud. Once you have made your selections, scroll to the bottom of the page and click on the "Back Up Now" option.

A word to the wise

As we have seen in the past, sometimes these big updates can cause problems for older devices. Owners of the iPhone 4 complained of poor battery life and performance issues after updating to iOS 7. We all like new things, but it may actually be better to hold off on updating for a week or two if you own an iPhone 4S or an iPad 2. This should help you avoid some of the problems that can arise when updating your device.

Source