AMD grapic card Alienware m17x r3

Hello all. 

Dettie tried to help me fix my gaming Alienware laptop. He did great help, but the main problem still remains. The AMD graphic card is not working. We think its broken... BUT...

Its reconized in Windows, and the drivers reconizing the card when installing the drivers. But  after reboot the card is not working. its says: code 10 can't start device. But windows does see the card. 

And also in the bios i see the card and the name of the card. Its not turning on. 

I taked out the card of the laptop. The cooling paste was not good anymore. Maybe he was to hot already before starting? And automatic shutdown to procect?

Could the card working again with new coolingpaste and coolingpads? Or is the card already dead? 

Is it even worth a try to put new cooling paste and coolingpads? 

Some pictures of the card... It seems ok. No burned elements or something. Only the coolpaste is not OK anymore. 
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Dettie and Substanz like this

Excellent work Chasey !

Regarding this pic, i strongly advice you to clean the thermal paste (which can have electric conductivity) on your card with ethanol or isopropanol (no cetones or higher solvents). After, clean up and good dry, apply a new paste with high viscosity (harder than previous one).

Also clean the pipes of your cooling unit, and when you gonna mount it again, ensure that the surface of your gpu is well recover from high quality thermal paste, and not too much to avoid such outbreak of it when the gpu will be in full load/temperature and pressed through the cooling unit.

There is a huge probability than your GPU will work again, without electrical interference on his power supply and thermal dissipation.

Chasey and Dettie like this
 Gm3eMuy.pngsub-darkmessiah.GIF

The biggest things to look for is know what kind of heatsink your cooler uses (copper vs aluminum, for example) as some don't mesh well depending on the type of material used. And I would use isopropanol (or isopropyl alcohol) to clean the electrical components. Best of luck with this, hope it works out for you.

Check this article, hope it helps you to choose your thermal paste http://nerdtechy.com/best-thermal-paste-reviews

Substanz likes this

I cleaned it, put new (silver) coolpaste and pads, but didnt work. GPU is really broken. 

Sooo.... time to safe money for a new one......

Oh, too bad. I mean when something oxidized that much there is a very slim chance it would work.

One more thing, stay away from alienware builds in the future. You'll have more headaches with it, their builds are full of flaws

Substanz likes this

I cleaned it, put new (silver) coolpaste and pads, but didnt work. GPU is really broken. 

shame it didn't worked out for you , but we spend enough time testing the damn card, and put back an iso with system restore every time it failed us I hope you can safe a bit of money, so you can buy a good one

WmNf8mO.gif

Sad to hear Chasey, as pudpud said, stay away from things coming from DELL, just one of the worst pc builder in the history ^^

As dettie said also, you can replace the current one by a low price chinese one, with higher performance, it's up to you.

Good job anyway to have given your best on its resurrection

Gm3eMuy.pngsub-darkmessiah.GIF

for chasey , i've looked a bit, these cards are garanteed to work with you're laptop

this i got from a dell forum , other cards can work also ,but compabillity problems can apply when installed

Psykoh1,

Yes, you could purchase the video card from Dell Spare Parts 1-800-357-3355. Below are the video cards we validated with the M17x-R3 -

87XRJ N11E-GS GeForce 460m Kit (Video card VDV04 + Thermal Assemblies J9H7X)
N11E-GS GeForce 460m (Vbios http://dell.to/tmQq7T)

8H4G6 N12E-GS GeForce 560m Kit (Video card YT99J + Thermal Assemblies J9H7X)
N12E-GS GeForce 560m (Vbios http://dell.to/MkRdEg)

RFYN9 N12E-GTX2 GeForce GTX580m Kit (Video card 3MF8R + Thermal Heat Sink Assembly V1K2G)
N12E-GTX2 GeForce GTX580m (Vbios http://dell.to/O6DgZ1)

5MKH5 AMD Granville Pro 6870m Kit (Video card V5TGF + Thermal Assemblies VH0YK)

WFWCW AMD Blackcomb XT 6970m Kit (Video card V9XKH + Thermal Assemblies YHP1P)

CK7HW AMD Blackcomb XTX 6990m Kit (Video Card RDRGR + Thermal Assemblies YHP1P)

You should always update the Bios to the latest version before doing any hardware changes.

Chasey likes this

WmNf8mO.gif

The Alienware laptop always did good job. Its over 6 years old now and it has done a lot of heavyy 3d moddeling work when the laptop was at its first owner. A friend of mine. He does 3d modelling as a job. He GAVE it to me, i didnt have to pay for it. I have had a lot of fun with the laptop the 3 years i have had it. So iam not complaining at all! Its just bad luck the AMD card is broken now. Still the laptop works now, only with the stupid intel card. But i can still use Adobe Premiere and photoshop. 

I'm gonna safe some money for a new card and i hope i can game on it again. If not... then i just have bad luck and had a lot of fun with a given  Alienware laptop ;)