!URGENT!: Lag spikes in CoD4

Hey guys how's it going :)

I have this issue of lag spikes every 7-10 seconds... I had asked Finny about it, but he suggested that it might be an internet connection problem... I checked it out with 3 other laptops around the house and there doesn't seem to be any sign of lag whatsoever (let alone a spike). This spike lasts for about 2 seconds and my screen freezes while I become Connection Interrupted (My ping is 999), then it restores itself.

I have scanned for viruses (found nothing), malware (found nothing), adware (found nothing).

I'm running Windows 8.1 Pro.

All other games I play online work just fine... No lag or anything... So what could be the problem?

I tried switching between the integrated graphics and Nvidia which only made it worse.

Generally if I let my FPS go to the maximum I get around 250FPS (I limit it to 60FPS). Either way still I get spikes.

My CoD4 is cracked (non-steam version)

All help rendered will be deeply appreciated. This is driving me crazy

Regards

R34P3R

http://i.imgur.com/PZ8uP2U.gif

http://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/188.165.215.144:1280/b_350_20_5A6C3E_383F2D_D2E1B5_2E3226.png

Things that are said to enchant, may deceive

Son's of Anarchy: Fear the R34P3R

PS The guy under me is a total asshole XD #its_only_a_joke

So, your problem don't seem to come from :

- PunkBunster because it is not installed

- Steam because you launch in-game

Try this :

- disable skype and teamspeak with cod4

- close any open internet tabs

If the problem comes from your alienware computer, we need to know what it has and the other 2 not so we'll see the problem. What are u other 2 pc ?

On the internet : 

punkbuster can cause lagspikes in the first 15-30 during checks. 
Make sure PB is up to date. http://www.evenbalance.com/index.php?page=dl-cod4.php 
The yellow lag spikes are for video syncing up with the game server.
Red spikes in the green would be indicative of having some sort of connection problems.

Are you running any chat program in the background, xfire, teamspeak, ventrilo? 

in game console~ before joining game 

/pb_system 0

/pb_security 0

Create a file 'pbcl.cfg' in PB:
(un-hide hidden folders Tools folder options) 
Windows 7 PB location is:
C:UsersyournameAppDataLocalPunkBusterCOD4

CODE
pb_sleep 500
pb_security 0
pb_system 0

Explanantion:
PB_Security [0=no, 1=yes]
When set to 0, PunkBuster will accept all "update" files without verifying that they are authentic; the default is 1 which should not normally be changed except for LAN environments where there is no Internet Access and/or you fully trust the Servers you are connecting to

PB_Sleep [Period]
Holds the period of time (milliseconds) that PunkBuster "sleeps" between processing cycles; the default is 60; lower numbers will cause PunkBuster to process events more times each second which also has the effect of increasing the bandwidth used by PunkBuster. 500 ms is the maximum allowed.

PB_System [0/1]
PB can conflict with other software on some systems due to vigorous memory scanning; Changing this setting may reduce or eliminate conflicts if you have problems on your system; this setting can only be changed before connecting to a server

EDIT : it appears to come from your mouse. You disabled 'accelerate mouse' and it worked

MAD eKs and R34P3R like this

So, your problem don't seem to come from :

- PunkBunster because it is not installed

- Steam because you launch in-game

Try this :

- disable skype and teamspeak with cod4

- close any open internet tabs

If the problem comes from your alienware computer, we need to know what it has and the other 2 not so we'll see the problem. What are u other 2 pc ?

On the internet : 

punkbuster can cause lagspikes in the first 15-30 during checks. 

Make sure PB is up to date. http://www.evenbalance.com/index.php?page=dl-cod4.php 

The yellow lag spikes are for video syncing up with the game server.

Red spikes in the green would be indicative of having some sort of connection problems.

Are you running any chat program in the background, xfire, teamspeak, ventrilo? 

in game console~ before joining game 

/pb_system 0

/pb_security 0

Create a file 'pbcl.cfg' in PB:

(un-hide hidden folders Tools folder options) 

Windows 7 PB location is:

C:UsersyournameAppDataLocalPunkBusterCOD4

CODE

pb_sleep 500

pb_security 0

pb_system 0

Explanantion:

PB_Security [0=no, 1=yes]

When set to 0, PunkBuster will accept all "update" files without verifying that they are authentic; the default is 1 which should not normally be changed except for LAN environments where there is no Internet Access and/or you fully trust the Servers you are connecting to

PB_Sleep [Period]

Holds the period of time (milliseconds) that PunkBuster "sleeps" between processing cycles; the default is 60; lower numbers will cause PunkBuster to process events more times each second which also has the effect of increasing the bandwidth used by PunkBuster. 500 ms is the maximum allowed.

PB_System [0/1]

PB can conflict with other software on some systems due to vigorous memory scanning; Changing this setting may reduce or eliminate conflicts if you have problems on your system; this setting can only be changed before connecting to a server

EDIT : it appears to come from your mouse. You disabled 'accelerate mouse' and it worked

Thanks so much for the input, I really appreciate it :) Croug was the man with the mouse lag issues... For me it was the server hosting problem (I told you ^^). I'm shifting the machine so now I can play with no lag whatsoever :D

-----------------------------------------------

As for the rest I thank you all for your input :)

http://i.imgur.com/PZ8uP2U.gif

http://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/188.165.215.144:1280/b_350_20_5A6C3E_383F2D_D2E1B5_2E3226.png

Things that are said to enchant, may deceive

Son's of Anarchy: Fear the R34P3R

PS The guy under me is a total asshole XD #its_only_a_joke

• 2 weeks later...

Can specify the full computer specification? From my experience everything can cause lag spikes. Try the following solutions:

- Remove pb folder from cod4 directory. You can easily install it using this: http://www.cfgfactory.com/downloads/show/53d8eb3f57679

- Open task manager and kill tasks, which use your hard drive most.

- Defrag your hdd (in search: "Defragmentation and disk optimization")

- Update your graphics driver

- Connect other hard drive to your pc/laptop, your hdd just may be damaged

Substanz likes this