BlueSOD VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE

Hello,

I bought a new graphicscard end of june because my previous one died. However I now have a problem that is re-occuring and I think it might have something to do with it.
Sometimes when I start my pc up, and load a little too much applications (log-in on steam, and startup mozilla firefox) my screen freezes, and it goes to a blue screen of death for a split second and then my pc goes black and  restarts.

I have a samsung 850 pro ssd from which w10 boots (only 7,5 tb written).
I have run disk and memory checks but that seems fine.
The recommended psu for this graphicscard was I believe 700 or 750 watt, however I have 650 watt. It only happens just after startup.

Is the graphicscard bad or might it be something else?

Could be a 2 things

Firstly, have you deleted all files from your old GPU, if not they would still be on your system and

Causing your new gpu to override, and still be running your old gpu files,

Secondly could be your psu, not giving enough power to the graphics card, I experienced the same problem, mine was the power supply wasn't powerful enough to run,

I wouldn't say it was the gpu as you have not long brought it

4Os2zcH.png

It would really surprise me if the PSU is not sufficient enough. I read about recommended psu's for rx vega and people all over the internet say even a gold/silver 500 watt should be sufficient, and I have 650 bronze 80+. 
It pulls a max of 400 watt I believe, and under load I don't have problems with it. Just right after pc startup. 

I ll try to use the DDU. But I had a AMD graphicscard before this one, and updated the drivers to newest version 

TDR stands for Timeout, Detection, and Recovery components in Windows.

It’s supposed to be there to help stop BSODs by resetting the GPU and/or driver when there’s an issue of long delay.

Try installing an older driver (e.g. from Windows Update, automatically)?

And like Subz mentioned, the error code/component would be useful ...

PS. Based on what you describe your PC might experience a peak load during startup which makes the power draw unstable?

To verify it's not a PSU problem you could run a 3D benchmark like unigine.

QmXjtKY.png

what's the error code of the BSOD ?

I could only see video_tdr_failure. Because the BSOD is not even a full second long everytime. So I am so far unable to provide that

Try installing an older driver (e.g. from Windows Update, automatically)?

And like Subz mentioned, the error code/component would be useful ...

PS. Based on what you describe your PC might experience a peak load during startup which makes the power draw unstable?

To verify it's not a PSU problem you could run a 3D benchmark like unigine.

I was using a older driver, but I updated to newer ones to resolve this.

I will try that

Substanz, on 19 Jul 2019 - 3:04 PM, said:

http://noname.zone/public/style_images/Kazbah_Orange_Grey_Skin/snapback.png

what's the error code of the BSOD ?

I could only see video_tdr_failure. Because the BSOD is not even a full second long everytime. So I am so far unable to provide that

The "Blue Screen of Death" or "BSOD"  can be found in your windows logs and will give you the error code :

1. Click "Start," type "Event Viewer" in the search box, and then click "Event Viewer" in the search results. Event Viewer opens.

2.  Double-click on "Windows Logs" in the left pane, then click on "Request", "System" or "Security". Microsoft provides information about the types of logs that appear in each category (see Resources). If you see a folder in the left pane called "Custom Views," double-click it, and then click "Administrative Events."

3. Double-click any event in the right pane to view details about the event. Blue screen errors will be entered as "error".

If you have still difficulties, just bump me ;)
 Gm3eMuy.pngsub-darkmessiah.GIF

Eventlog Event ID: 6008 Last shutdown of the system on 20:33:37 on 18-07-2019 was unexpected.

volmgr Event ID: 161 Dump file creation failed due to error during dump creation

Kernel-Power Event ID: 41 (63) The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding crashed or lost power unexpectedly.

These ones, starting with the top one.

This last one corresponds. The PC just stopped responding right after startup.

EDIT: And I ran the Unigine benchmark on 1080p extreme, and later on 8k optimized. No BSOD or anything.

Substanz likes this

Use DDU and reinstall display drivers. What motherboard are you using and in what PCI slot do you have your GPU plugged in? Most of the bridges now go over the cpu and southbridge is not what it used to be (to elaborate on newer architectures like AM4 and such the PCI-E x16 slot on your motherboard is communicating with over the CPU itself). Either DDU your drivers (all of them because this could be an issue with chipset drivers or chipset itself and not just GPU drivers) and start fresh or re-seat your cpu and makke sure you don't overtighten the cooler, because too much pressure on the pins from the cooler can lead to errors and complications with RAM and bunch of other things.

I always do a backup and then a clean windows install using media creator tool when I'm upgrading any component which operates with drivers (GPU, network cards, etc). It just takes me around 45 to 60 minutes to get everything up and running and one more hour to restore the files. 2 hours in total, and I save days diagnosing faulty drivers or bad instalations 

You can use THIS tool from Cooler Master to check how much power u actually need in your system. Just input your devices on that calculator and thats it!

EDit: Alternatively if Cooler Master's calculator is down, you can use THIS ONE from be quiet!

NOTE: Almost every single RAM and SATA Device consumes practicaly the same wattage, so don't worry if u think the be quiet! tool is not complete. What actually matters when calculating PSU wattage is CPU, GPU and cooling solution (if u have water cooling or not. This pumps can get really power hungry), then add somewhere around 100 watts for SATA, RAM, Motherboard, etc. Also dont pay attention to what the manufacturer says about the recommended PSU because they dont even know what CPU you have. They say 750 watts just to make sure that no matter what CPU u throw at it, it will run ok, for example if you have a 2990wx, paired with a Vega 64 (which recommends 750 watts) the wattage needed its somewhere around 700 to 750 watts. Having in mind that the 2990wx with TR4 taichi motherboard consumes somewhere around 350 watts, having an i7-8700k and its motherboard which consumes around 150 watts instead the 2990wx consuming 350, you will have to push 500 to 600 watts, instead of the 750 AMD claims vega 64 needs, or those 700-750 that 2990wx needs to run. So Yes, if your CPU is at or under 95 TDP, you shouldnt have any issue at all about power

QuickBreakdown likes this

No fancy image here. Don't ask why!

I used the calculator from coolermaster like a week ago. Said that I needed a 550 watt unit. Have a 650 bronze. So I think I am good 

I uninstalled my videodrivers with a DDU as Puddings said, and it seemed to have fixed it. Although I find that weird because I had installed newer drivers and such. Anyway, i'm glad it looks solved

I used the calculator from coolermaster like a week ago. Said that I needed a 550 watt unit. Have a 650 bronze. So I think I am good 

I uninstalled my videodrivers with a DDU as Puddings said, and it seemed to have fixed it. Although I find that weird because I had installed newer drivers and such. Anyway, i'm glad it looks solved

Glad u solved it, I've had similar issues even with intel drivers. I have a ssd with win10 installed to test and bech PC's I build or fix, and everytime i put it on a new computer I have to DDU the drivers. Once I had a problem related to Intel HD Graphics. I tested a i5-7400 PC with IRIS 630 iGPU and then I swapped the disk to a i7-3770 build with iGPU HD4000. Windows was "recognizing" the HD4000 as it should, and even showing "Intel HD4000" on device manager, but everytime I opened syntetic benchmarks like Cinebench R15, the GPU test was around 5 to 10 FPS, where it would normally be around 30 ish FPS on that specific iGPU. I then recall that Bethesda games shows you the actual GPU doing the job at the launch menu so I installed fallout 3, and surprise! While the system was showing HD4000 at device manager, fallout 3 was actually showing Microsoft Basic Display Adapter as the GPU, I then confirmed that at directx config. I had to DDU it and then install official HD4000 drivers from intel website in order to get it running.

No fancy image here. Don't ask why!