USB headset via USB 3.0 not working on older mobo

Hey,

I have the following problem:

My (2nd) computer has a somewhat old motherboard; ms-7728.Now it is old, it does support usb 3.0, and so I have. With gaming I want to connect my Razer Kraken USB 7.1 Chroma headset to my computer via the USB 3.0 ports. However most of the time when I startup my computer my headset will just go off after 30 seconds or something like that. Note that while starting up, my headset glows and is actually functioning for a few (10-20) seconds. I installed Razer Synapse, updated to the last version. I have for my mobo the latest Asmedia hostcontroller drivers for my usb 3.0 ports. I also have for my mobo the latest audio drivers.I have had audio problems with this PC for years, speakers that start functioning like a minute after the startup of this computer. 

Restarting does not help.

I was thinking maybe a soundcard would fix the problem, however I am wondering if a USB headset runs at all over computer audio. If I am not mistaken, USB headsets have their own soundcard integrated. 

Note that while the headset is plugged in the USB 2.0 ports it functions without problem, these ports however are at the backside of the computer, so my wire takes a long route to actually reach my head lol.That might suggest a problem with the USB 3.0... 

Yes, if you have a portable hard drive or USB. try that first

Ye other devices work very solid. I might forgot to mention, the USB 3.0 ports on my mobo are not the standard USB 3.0 headers, instead, its 2 dedicated USB 3.0 ports on the mobo itself, so the use of the ports on the front panel goes with some sort of extention cable. 

I had to purchase a dedicated soundcard to make use of my USB powered 5.1 headset. I'm unsure if your situation requires the same.

It depends on the headset. His razer isn't real 7.1 so it doesn't need a dedicated 7.1 soundcard in the pc but it has an integrated 7.1-like one.

@Badass : Does it show in the sound options (playback/mic)?

Bartolo likes this

It depends on the headset. His razer isn't real 7.1 so it doesn't need a dedicated 7.1 soundcard in the pc but it has an integrated 7.1-like one.

@Badass : Does it show in the sound options (playback/mic)?

Yes and it functions for like 30 seconds. Then it turns off (even not detectable with razer synapse).

I had to purchase a dedicated soundcard to make use of my USB powered 5.1 headset. I'm unsure if your situation requires the same.

It might be an option yes...  

• 2 weeks later...