So, I'm going to build 2 new computers for the office. I work a lot on graphic design, my current build is a Ryzen 5 2600X with a RX 580 8GB and 32 GB @3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX.

The first build is going to be a threadripper with a Radeon VII and 32 GB @3000MHz.

And the second build is goiing to be a 9900K with a 1660 Ti and 32 GB @2666MHz as intel don't benefits from fast RAM as much as ryzen do. 

My question is, how big of a bottleneck would the 9900K be with a 1660 Ti in terms of gaming? I though about just throwing a 2080 ti at it, but its waaaay out of budget. What do you think? Its ok if I stick with the 1660 Ti? What other GPU would u recomend to match the 9900K (Max 500$)

No fancy image here. Don't ask why!

I would avoid Radeon VII to be honest.

Is it a 1st gen threadripper or? I recommend going with the AMD Ryzen 7 3700X for everyday use in Photoshop or Illustrator, and to go with the Ryzen 9 3900X when you plan on also doing more multi core rendering or video encoding. These Ryzen 2 chips destroy 1st and 2nd gen Threadripper and anything in i7 and i9 lineup from intel in productivity workloads. In general make sure there's more horsepower in the CPU department instead of GPU, so 1660Ti should be good and it's a pretty decent GPU.

I would avoid Radeon VIII to be honest.

Is it a 1st gen threadripper or? I recommend going with the AMD Ryzen 7 3700X for everyday use in Photoshop or Illustrator, and to go with the Ryzen 9 3900X when you plan on also doing more multi core rendering or video encoding. These Ryzen 2 chips destroy 1st and 2nd gen Threadripper and anything in i7 and i9 lineup from intel in productivity workloads. In general make sure there's more horsepower in the CPU department instead of GPU, so 1660Ti should be good and it's a pretty decent GPU.

The custom cooling cards seem to be fine. It was the fabric/standard edition that had very sketchy temps. 

I would avoid Radeon VII to be honest.

It will be a 2950X, I know 3900X outperforms any 1st gen threadripper. Basically the threadripper build is for both 2D modeling which benefits a lot more from core count and 3D Modeling which benefits more from the video card. I choose Raden VII just because the HBM2 memory is great for 3D modeling. Actually more CPU horsepower is not always the right path for content creator, maybe for daily photoshop use it is, but when it comes to CATIA (High GPU usage), davinci resolve, RED editing software, premiere, and also live streaming with OBS using HEVC, it will not be enough to just focus on CPU. The other build I'm going with a 9900K instead of a 3900X or a 3700X just because I already have a 1151 motherboard and because I will be using that rig as my personal rig too, and I want to make sure I can also game on it at 1440P with max textures/details. I know that for gaming it would be better to save a buck on the CPU and get a 2080 instead a 1660 Ti, however, remember it will also be for work (Content creator). So, getting an i5 or an i7 is not an option. It must have an i9. Having in mind that it will be for 1440P gaming, and also productivity, what GPU should I put on it? I got hold of a bit more money to throw at it. I have a budget of 630$ for the GPU. What would be the best option to avoid bottlenecking the CPU at 1440P gaming?

The custom cooling cards seem to be fine. It was the fabric/standard edition that had very sketchy temps. 

I'm fully aware of the issues with Radeon VII. That's why I got hands on a EK-Vector water block for it, its going to be running soft tubing custom loop for both CPU and GPU on a 360mm rad. Max temps on Unigine Heaven Benchmark should be (in theory) around 60 to 75º, which is ok.

which kind of design softwares you gonna use ?

CATIA (High GPU usage), Davinci Resolve, RED editing software, Premiere, and also live streaming with OBS using HEVC.

The cards have been discontinued by AMD, price to performance of either AIB cards and reference ones is just not worth it, waste of money to be honest.

I agree, in terms of gaming. In terms of productivity however, Radeon VII kicks anything out there thanks to HBM2 memory outputing 1tb/s memory bandwidth on a 4096 bit bus compared to lets say a 2080 Ti running GDDR6 at 616 Gb/s and 352 bit.

Scrappydoo likes this

No fancy image here. Don't ask why!